I think many times when people think of beef, they think of a thick, juicy, fatty ribeye or a greasy cheeseburger. I think mainstream media and culture has depicted beef this way. However, beef is so versatile and a great lean protein that can in fact be part of a healthy diet. Here are some ideas of how to easily incorporate beef into a healthy diet. Full of zinc, iron, B vitamins, and protein, it is hands down my favorite protein source, with vitamins and minerals you can't find anywhere else.
1. Purchase lean ground beef. Look for 10% or even 7% fat options by reading the label at the grocery store. At Walmart, the lean ground beef is labeled green.
2. If you are watching carbs, skip the bun, or only eat half of the bun. Many times, people make burgers unhealthy by everything they add to it- sauces full of sugars and carbs, thick buns, and a side of french fries quickly add up. Next time, try a delicious burger on a lettuce bun or half a whole wheat bun with a side of veggies for a great source of clean protein and vitamins.
3. Try a taco salad with lean ground beef. I love to prep taco meat at the beginning of the week because you can use it so many ways- salads, wraps, taco shells, nachos. It is quick and easy to prepare and ensures everyone in the house can make what they love.
4. Try out the flat iron steak. This is a newer cut of beef developed by the beef check off program that is leaner, has less fat, but is still tender and delicious . It is one of my favorites!
5. Check out our cookbook, "Beef for the Family" for healthy meals the whole family can enjoy. Designed for quick weeknight meals, these recipes feature ways to cut calories and show how beef can be part of a wholesome diet.
Consumers today are at least 3 generations removed from farming, yet they want to know more about their food now than ever before. As ranchers, this begs us to educate the public on the truth behind our industry. If not, they will get their information from somewhere else, and it just might not be fact based. For consumers, read on!